The product names may vary, and the containers may be referred to as chambers, discs, stations, systems, traps, baits, or trays, but most ant and roach baits use an attractant (often peanut butter), a sweetening agent, and bread. And while these baits once contained compounds that are relatively highly toxic to mammals (e.g. arsenic trioxide, lead arsenate), the most common insecticides used in ant and roach baits today are boric acid, avermectin, fipronil, hydramethylnon, propoxur, and sulfluramid.
Because of the low concentration of the insecticide and the small size of the bait, serious toxicosis in mammalian pets ingesting the baits is not expected. In many instances, the risk of foreign body obstruction from the plastic or metal part of the container is of greater concern than the active ingredients. Signs of ingestion are usually limited to mild GI upset and do not require specific treatment.
This information is from the “Toxicology Brief” ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.
So just be careful. Dogs don’t know that these baits are not for them! Make sure you don’t leave them around where your dogs can get at them.