Eight years ago on December 12th, our family rescued Simon and brought him home to celebrate Christmas. Simon had been abandoned during the middle of the night, when his parents drove him to the animal shelter, took off his collar and left him in the outside pen.
When Simon first came home, he hated it when we took off his collar, flat-out refused to get into the car once it got dark, and would back down whenever I took the frying pan out of the cupboard. As Simon grew more comfortable and confident that there was no way he was going to lose us, he began to relax. However, one thing did not pass – every December, Simon acts differently – he starts mopping around the house and won’t let me out of his sight. It is as if he knows its December and is remembering the night he was left, in the cold and dark.
People think animals can’t think, remember and feel as we do. Well, Simon proves them wrong. He remembers every December, making us all very sad.
Simon was one of the lucky ones who found a family that loves and takes care of him. But, there are so many more that are abandoned and need to find homes, especially today. And today, when animal rescue services need more support than ever, raising money to do their work has really gotten tough. We, like all small businesses, have had to tighten our belts and really look hard at how we spend our money. So, I am proud to say that even with all of our belt tightening, we continue giving back to our community as a corporate sponsor for Romeo the Cat, which is focused on helping to raise money for grass roots animal rescues and shelters that don’t have a lot of money to raise money. Each of the following shelters received $1,500 – $4,500 that was raised for them:
- Animals in Distress, Coopersburg PA – March Winner
- Kitten Rescue, Los Angeles CA – April Winner
- Beaufort Community Cat Project, Beaufort NC – May Winner
- Angels for Animals, Canfield OH – June Winner
- Spay & Neuter Action Project, San Diego CA – July Winner
- The Emergency Animal Rescue Service, Birmingham AL – August Winner
- Red Door Animal Shelter, Chicago IL – September Winner
- Persian and Himalayan Cat Rescue, San Francisco and Northern CA – October Winner
- Nine Lives Foundation, Redwood City CA – November Winner
In the spirit of the holidays, please join us and others to help those who help rescue the animals that we all cherish. We can’t adopt all the animals that have been abandoned, but we can help rescue animals so others can adopt them. Visit http://www.romeothecat.com/donate/ and make a donation in the spirit of giving!
Quincy and Simon